In this article, we will be looking at how to register a security company;
- Company Requirements
- Duration of Registration
- Open Business Bank Account
- Company Registration Packages
To register a limited company for your security business, you will need at least 1 person (director/shareholder) to register and must be above 18 years of age. You will also need to collect the following information and documents;
- Company Name – you will need to come up with up-to 2 company name suggestions that we can help you to check its availability. If you have already performed your own name search, all you will need to provide us is the company name reservation letter that you were issued upon completion of your name search.
- Nature of Business – list your primary and secondary business activities that you would like your security business to do – for example; general supplies, security equipment, security consultancy, security training etc.
- Director(s) details – we will require the following details from each of the directors;
- Full names of directors (As shown on ID or Passport)
- Occupation – for example consultant, businessman, businesswoman
- Postal address – you will need to provide postal address for each of the company director(s).
- Residential address – you will need to give us your house number or LR number, house name or building name, street/road name, town.
- Shares allocation – you will need to decide on how to allocate the shares. If your company will have only a sole director, then you can allocate 100% share ownership. But if you have additional directors, then you can split the share ownership such as Director 1 – 60%, Director 2 – 20%, Director 3 – 20%. Remember that the total number of shares available by default is 1,000 shares.
- Proof of Identity documents – Company Registry has introduced a new rule that requires all company director(s)/shareholder(s) who are registering a new company to provide the following documentation as proof of their identity;
- Copy of KRA PIN Certificate (iTax Version) – for Kenyan citizens, if you are a foreigner, you won’t be required to provide this document. Please note that company PIN registration will require at least 1 director to have their personal KRA PIN.
- Copy of ID/Passport – make sure you scan both the front and back side of the ID.
- Photo – coloured photo of each director/shareholder with a clear background.
Signing of Company Documents
We will email your company document with instructions on how to sign them. Please note that Company Registry usually do not allow scanned or photocopied signed documents and it might get rejected by Company Registrar causing delays in your company registration. Please make sure that all signed company documents (Form CR1, CR2, CR8 & Nominal Share Capital) are originally signed when submitting your company documents.
Duration of Registration
You need to be aware that registration process for a security company will need to undergo security vetting by NSIS during the company registration process. This process usually takes time (up-to 6 months, depending on the workload of NSIS) and therefore it is better to start the registration process much earlier.
Open Business Bank Account
Once we have registered your limited company, you’ll receive your certificate of incorporation, memorandum and company PIN that will assist you to open your business bank account. We recommend you to print the Form CR1 that we had used to submit your application, then you can get it signed and take it to the bank.
You can find the article of association for your company on the official website of Attorney General that will be adopted during the registration of your company. Go to page 168-225 and print 57 pages of the Fourth Schedule that contains your MODEL ARTICLES FOR PRIVATE COMPANIES LIMITED BY SHARES that can be used to open your business bank account (if required by your bank).
Are You Ready? Register Your Security Company Today!
We are excited that you want to register your limited company and we are happy to get everything started so you can start trading soon. Here are the step by step guide on how we will assist you to register your limited company;
Step 1: Pricing Plans
You will need to select which registration package you prefer;
Lite Plan – Ksh. 20,000 – Includes Company Name Search, Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum, CR12 Letter only.
Premium Plan – Ksh. 40,000 – Includes Company Name Search, Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum, CR12 Letter, Company KRA PIN, VAT Registration, Tax Compliance Certificate Registration, Lipa Na Mpesa Account Registration, Business Cash Advance Facility, Masterpass QR Registration, Website Design, SSL Certificate for Website, Domain Name (.COM or .CO.KE), Web Hosting (10GB Diskspace), Unlimited Company Email Accounts, Logo Design, Business Card Design, Letterhead Design and Business Consultancy.
Step 2: Requirement Form
Please download and fill this Requirement Form below with your information.
Click on this link to download the Company Registration Requirements Form [Word Version, 3 Pages, Size: 19.7KB]
Step 3: Registration Order
Once you complete your company requirement form, you will need to upload it on the registration order below and submit your order.
After registering my company, how can I apply for Business Permit?
Currently, we do not offer business permit registration service at the moment. If you are looking to register for a business permit in Nairobi County, you will find this article useful.
For those looking to operate their companies in other counties, we recommend that you visit your local county office to apply for your business permit.
Can I upgrade my existing security business to a limited company?
Yes, you can. All you need to provide us is your business certificate for your sole proprietor or partnership business.
How can I register a foreign security company?
If you are looking to register a security foreign company, please refer to ‘how to register a foreign company‘ article that will contain more information that you might find useful.