Why Sole Proprietor!
It is easy to start and requires less information to register. The process is simple and anyone can register both residents & non-residents. It is cheaper to register as well.
Who Can Start
Anyone can start a Sole Proprietor Business, even foreigners. It only requires one person for registration to take place. The moment you put a second person on the list of owners (in BN/2 Form, seen below) the business will automatically be considered as Partnership Business.
Where To Start
You will need to have already performed a name search for your business. If you haven’t done so already, then you can perform it yourself using these instructions;
However, you can also request us to register your Sole Proprietorship business on your behalf, and we can also perform the name search for you;
How You Can Start
You will be required to fill in a Business Name Registration Form (BN/2) which you will require the following information;
- Business Name – Once you Business Name has been approved, you will need to write on this column.
- Nature of Business – You will need to come up with one specific nature of business e.g. Tours & Travel, Computer Repairs, Mobile Phone & Accessories Shop etc. General words such as “shop” or “retail”, trade” are not sufficient for Company Registry to proceed to register your business. You will need to avoid things like “General Supplies” which is popularly used but it will not be approved)
- Date of Commencement – You will need to write down the date in which you started your business using that name. If you haven’t yet started, then you will need to indicate when you will begin using that Business name to trade. Make sure that the date is not too far in the future, this could affect your application and you might be told to apply at a later date.
- Address of the principal place of business (Plot No./Land Office Reference Number, Section and Name of Street or Road, Name of Building) – For the plot number, please find the electricity bill or water bill of your business premises. If you don’t have a business premises, you can use your home residential plot number/land reference number for registration that’s if you are starting your business from home, but you will need to update the records at Company Registry once you have a Business Premises.
- Postal Address – If you don’t have one, you can register your very own postal office box for Ksh. 2,500 at the nearest Postal Office
- Address of any other place of business (Branch Office under the above name) – Only applicable to businesses that are currently operating business in other counties or have other branches under the same business name.
- Full Names of you and any other partners – Any person who has changed his name must give all former names, unless the change occurred before he attained the age of two years. For Sole Proprietor Business, it only requires 1 person. For Partnership Business, it only require minimum of 2 people and maximum of 20 people).
- Nationality – You will require to enter your nationality as indicated on your identification e.g. Kenyan, German, British, American, Chinese, South African etc.
- Age – Make sure you give your correct age.
- Gender – Male (M) or Female (F).
- Usual place of residence – Where you currently reside e.g. Nairobi, Nakuru, Kisumu, London, Paris etc.
- Other business occupation – You will need to enter your occupation e.g. engineer, farmer, hair stylist, web designer etc. If you don’t have one you can simply write either “Businessman” or “Businesswoman”.
- Signature on the document – The Business registration needs to be signed by the proprietor or by all partners. However in the event that this is not possible, the company secretary can sign for a corporation which is the proprietor or partner. What this means is that you can appoint someone else to sign on your behalf as long as the Statutory Declaration printed alongside must be made before a Magistrate or Commissioner for Oaths by one of the signatory partner or representative.
How Long Will It Take
Usually, it takes 2 weeks to register a Sole Proprietor depending on the Company Registry workload and working time.
We no longer offer sole proprietor business registration. We only carry out limited company registration.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does It Takes?
It usually takes up-to 2 weeks or less for the whole process to be completed from Business name search to the certificate being produced by company registry, however it could take less time if process is fast-tracked.
How Long Will Registration Process Last?
It will take an approximately 2-4 weeks depending if all documents and requirements have been submitted on time and processed on time by Company Registry.
[testimonialrotator][testimonial author=”Ronny Kibuko / CEO RonSmart Ltd.”] I engaged Dealpoa Service from Eldoret and I was glad on how they handled my registration process. They were transparent and honest about each stage of the process. Will do business with them over & over again. Well done Dealpoa![/testimonial][testimonial author=”Felix Kiptum /Founder, pesaDroid Ltd.”] Enock Kiprono and his team have been great in helping me to register pesaDroid to be a limited company. I recommend him because he is trustworthy[/testimonial][/testimonialrotator]